HB 579 - AS INTRODUCED
HOUSE BILL 579
SPONSORS: Rep. Desilets, Rock. 7; Rep. Hoelzel, Rock. 3; Rep. Khan, Rock. 20; Rep. Panasiti, Hills. 22; Rep. Baldasaro, Rock. 5; Sen. Birdsell, Dist 19
COMMITTEE: Municipal and County Government
This bill allows towns and cities to offer a discounted automobile registration for seniors, veterans, and disabled persons upon an affirmative vote by residents.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.
Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets and struckthrough.]
Matter which is either (a) all new or (b) repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.
STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Nineteen
Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:
1 New Paragraph; Certificates of Title and Registration of Vehicles; Municipal Permits for Registration; Fees for Registration Permits. Amend RSA 261:153 by inserting after paragraph VI the following new paragraph:
VII.(a) Beginning January 1, 2020, the legislative body of a municipality may vote to implement a discount on the registration fees collected in paragraphs I, V, and VI for any or all of the following classes of registrants:
(1) Those who are over 70 years of age.
(2) Honorably discharged veterans of the United States armed forces and current active military members.
(3) Permanently disabled registrants with special number plates issued pursuant to RSA 261:88, II.
(b) Each such discount shall be 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 percent of the motor vehicle registration fee paid pursuant to paragraphs I, V, and VI and shall apply to no more than one motor vehicle per registrant. Any registrant qualifying for more than one class described in subparagraph (a) shall elect a single class and associated discount he or she wishes to utilize. Registrants shall not receive more than one discount.
(c) Any town or city may adopt the provisions of subparagraphs (a) and (b) for a discounted motor vehicle registration fee for certain registrants in the following manner:
(1) In a town, the question shall be placed on the warrant of a special or annual town meeting under the procedures set out in RSA 39:3, and shall be voted on by ballot. In a city, the legislative body may consider and act upon the question in accordance with their normal procedures for passage of resolutions, ordinances, and other legislation. The legislative body of a city may vote to place the question on the official ballot for any regular municipal election, or in the alternative, shall place the question on the official ballot for any regular municipal election upon submission to the legislative body of a petition signed by 5 percent of the registered voters.
(2) The selectmen or city council shall hold a public hearing on the question at least 15 days but not more than 30 days before the question is to be voted on. Notice of the hearing shall be posted in at least 2 public places in the municipality and published in a newspaper of general circulation at least 7 days before the hearing.
(d) If a majority of those voting on the question vote "Yes," the discounted motor vehicle registration fee shall apply within the town or city on the date set by the selectmen or the city council.
(e) A town or city may consider rescinding its action in the manner described in subparagraph (c).
|Jan. 3, 2019||Introduced 01/03/2019 and referred to Municipal and County Government HJ 3 P. 21|
|Jan. 23, 2019||Public Hearing: 01/23/2019 11:00 am LOB 301|
|Jan. 30, 2019||==RECESSED== Executive Session: 01/30/2019 10:00 am LOB 301|
|Feb. 6, 2019||==CONTINUED== Executive Session: 02/06/2019 01:00 pm LOB 301|
|Feb. 27, 2019||Majority Committee Report: Inexpedient to Legislate for 02/27/2019 (Vote 16-2; RC) HC 13 P. 22|
|Majority Committee Report: Inexpedient to Legislate (Vote 16-2; RC)|
|Minority Committee Report: Ought to Pass with Amendment # 2019-0265h|
|Feb. 28, 2019||Inexpedient to Legislate: MA DV 294-51 02/28/2019|
|Jan. 23, 2019||House||Hearing|
|Jan. 30, 2019||House||Exec Session|
|Feb. 6, 2019||House||Exec Session|
|Feb. 27, 2019||House||Floor Vote|