HB 182 - AS INTRODUCED
HOUSE BILL 182
SPONSORS: Rep. P. Schmidt, Straf. 19
COMMITTEE: Ways and Means
This bill establishes a commission to study adaptation of the tax structure of the state to economic and demographic change.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.
Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets and struckthrough.]
Matter which is either (a) all new or (b) repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.
STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Nineteen
Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:
ADAPTATION OF THE TAX STRUCTURE OF THE STATE
TO ECONOMIC AND DEMOGRAPHIC CHANGE
77-H:1 Adaptation of the Tax Structure of the State to Economic and Demographic Change; Commission Established.
I. There is established a commission to study adaptation of the tax structure of the state to economic and demographic change.
(a) The members of the commission shall be as follows:
(1) Three members of the house of representatives, appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives.
(2) Two members of the senate, appointed by the president of the senate.
(3) The commissioner of revenue administration, or designee.
(4) The commissioner of resources and economic development, or designee.
(5) A demographer from the Carsey School of Public Policy at the university of New Hampshire, appointed by the governor.
(6) An accountant who was a member of the commission to study business taxes under former RSA 77-F, established by 2010SS, 1:55, appointed by the governor.
(7) A member of the tax policy group of the New Hampshire Business and Industry Association, appointed by the governor.
(b) Legislative members of the commission shall receive mileage at the legislative rate when attending to the duties of the commission.
II.(a) The commission shall evaluate the taxes and other revenue sources that provide the most revenue to the state, as enumerated below, with regard to their ability to foster or impede the goals of growth in the new service and high-tech economy and to attract and retain the young people needed to reverse current demographic trends that threaten such growth. The commission shall make proposals to adapt the state's tax structure to these needs as it sees fit. The top 7 taxes and the one non-tax revenue source for the general and education trust funds are:
(1) The business profits tax;
(2) The meals and rooms tax;
(3) The business enterprise tax;
(4) The statewide property tax;
(5) The tobacco tax;
(6) Liquor commission revenues;
(7) The real estate transfer tax; and
(8) The insurance premium tax.
(b) The commission may solicit information from any person or entity the commission deems relevant to its study.
III. The members of the commission shall elect a chairperson from among the members. The first meeting of the commission shall be called by the house member. The first meeting of the commission shall be held within 30 days of the effective date of this section. Six members of the commission shall constitute a quorum.
IV. The commission shall report its findings and any recommendations for proposed legislation to the speaker of the house of representatives, the president of the senate, the house clerk, the senate clerk, the governor, and the state library on or before December 1, 2020, with a preliminary report due on or before December 1, 2019.
I. Section 2 of this act shall take effect December 1, 2020.
II. The remainder of this act shall take effect upon its passage.
|Jan. 16, 2019||House||Hearing|
|Jan. 29, 2019||House||Exec Session|
|Feb. 14, 2019||House||Floor Vote|
Feb. 14, 2019: Inexpedient to Legislate: MA VV 02/14/2019 HJ 5 P. 23
Feb. 14, 2019: Committee Report: Inexpedient to Legislate for 02/14/2019 (Vote 19-0; CC) HC 11 P. 12
: Committee Report: Inexpedient to Legislate (Vote 19-0; CC)
Jan. 29, 2019: Executive Session: 01/29/2019 01:30 pm LOB 202
Jan. 22, 2019: Full Committee Work Session: 01/22/2019 02:00 pm LOB 202
Jan. 16, 2019: Public Hearing: 01/16/2019 10:00 am LOB 202
Jan. 2, 2019: Introduced 01/02/2019 and referred to Ways and Means HJ 2 P. 40