Bill Text - HB518 (2019)

Repealing certain statutes concerning reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.


Revision: June 3, 2019, 2:09 p.m.

HB 518-FN - VERSION ADOPTED BY BOTH BODIES

 

04/25/2019   1655s

2019 SESSION

19-0246

04/01

 

HOUSE BILL 518-FN

 

AN ACT repealing certain statutes concerning reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.

 

SPONSORS: Rep. Welch, Rock. 13; Rep. Keans, Straf. 23

 

COMMITTEE: Criminal Justice and Public Safety

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 

AMENDED ANALYSIS

 

This bill repeals the subdivision relating to reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.  The bill does not affect any cost of care reimbursement order or directive issued prior to the effective date of this act.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.

Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets and struckthrough.]

Matter which is either (a) all new or (b) repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.

04/25/2019   1655s 19-0246

04/01

 

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

 

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Nineteen

 

AN ACT repealing certain statutes concerning reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.

 

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

 

1  Repeal.  The subdivision heading preceding RSA 622:53 and RSA 622:53 through RSA 622:58, relative to reimbursement of cost of care by inmates, are repealed.

2  Applicability.  This act shall not apply to a person who is or has been subject to an order or a directive to pay cost of care reimbursement pursuant to RSA 622:55 issued prior to the effective date of this act.

3  Effective Date.  This act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.

 

LBAO

19-0246

Amended 5/20/19

 

HB 518-FN- FISCAL NOTE

AS AMENDED BY THE SENATE (AMENDMENT #2019-1655s)

 

AN ACT repealing certain statutes concerning reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.

 

FISCAL IMPACT:      [ X ] State              [    ] County               [    ] Local              [    ] None

 

 

 

Estimated Increase / (Decrease)

STATE:

FY 2020

FY 2021

FY 2022

FY 2023

   Appropriation

$0

$0

$0

$0

   Revenue

$0

$0

$0

$0

   Expenditures

$0

$0

$0

$0

Funding Source:

  [ X ] General            [    ] Education            [    ] Highway           [    ] Other

 

 

 

 

 

METHODOLOGY:

This bill repeals the statute relating to reimbursement of the cost of care by inmates.  This bill would not apply to individuals currently subject to an order to pay cost of care reimbursement issued prior to the effective date.  The Department of Corrections assumes the two individuals currently paying cost of care would continue to pay through fiscal year 2023, the period covered by this fiscal note.  One of the individuals is serving a life sentence and the other is sentenced through 2022.  The Department receives 59% of the cost of care reimbursement collected by the Department of Justice and the remaining 41% is deposited into the general fund.  The Department states it received $43,910 in FY 2016, $65,783 in FY 2017 and $65,419 in FY 2018.  

 

The Department of Justice indicates it currently seeks reimbursement through the court process for the cost of care while the inmate is at the Department of Corrections.  The average  annual debt collected on behalf of the Department of Corrections over the past 4 years is $102,000.  Of this amount $60,200 is disbursed to the Department of Corrections and $41,800 is used to fund the Department of Justice unit responsible for debt collection for other agencies.

 

AGENCIES CONTACTED:

       Departments of Corrections and Justice

 

HB 518-FN - VERSION ADOPTED BY BOTH BODIES

 

04/25/2019   1655s

2019 SESSION

19-0246

04/01

 

HOUSE BILL 518-FN

 

AN ACT repealing certain statutes concerning reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.

 

SPONSORS: Rep. Welch, Rock. 13; Rep. Keans, Straf. 23

 

COMMITTEE: Criminal Justice and Public Safety

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 

AMENDED ANALYSIS

 

This bill repeals the subdivision relating to reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.  The bill does not affect any cost of care reimbursement order or directive issued prior to the effective date of this act.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.

Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets and struckthrough.]

Matter which is either (a) all new or (b) repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.

04/25/2019   1655s 19-0246

04/01

 

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

 

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Nineteen

 

AN ACT repealing certain statutes concerning reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.

 

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

 

1  Repeal.  The subdivision heading preceding RSA 622:53 and RSA 622:53 through RSA 622:58, relative to reimbursement of cost of care by inmates, are repealed.

2  Applicability.  This act shall not apply to a person who is or has been subject to an order or a directive to pay cost of care reimbursement pursuant to RSA 622:55 issued prior to the effective date of this act.

3  Effective Date.  This act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.

 

LBAO

19-0246

Amended 5/20/19

 

HB 518-FN- FISCAL NOTE

AS AMENDED BY THE SENATE (AMENDMENT #2019-1655s)

 

AN ACT repealing certain statutes concerning reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.

 

FISCAL IMPACT:      [ X ] State              [    ] County               [    ] Local              [    ] None

 

 

 

Estimated Increase / (Decrease)

STATE:

FY 2020

FY 2021

FY 2022

FY 2023

   Appropriation

$0

$0

$0

$0

   Revenue

$0

$0

$0

$0

   Expenditures

$0

$0

$0

$0

Funding Source:

  [ X ] General            [    ] Education            [    ] Highway           [    ] Other

 

 

 

 

 

METHODOLOGY:

This bill repeals the statute relating to reimbursement of the cost of care by inmates.  This bill would not apply to individuals currently subject to an order to pay cost of care reimbursement issued prior to the effective date.  The Department of Corrections assumes the two individuals currently paying cost of care would continue to pay through fiscal year 2023, the period covered by this fiscal note.  One of the individuals is serving a life sentence and the other is sentenced through 2022.  The Department receives 59% of the cost of care reimbursement collected by the Department of Justice and the remaining 41% is deposited into the general fund.  The Department states it received $43,910 in FY 2016, $65,783 in FY 2017 and $65,419 in FY 2018.  

 

The Department of Justice indicates it currently seeks reimbursement through the court process for the cost of care while the inmate is at the Department of Corrections.  The average  annual debt collected on behalf of the Department of Corrections over the past 4 years is $102,000.  Of this amount $60,200 is disbursed to the Department of Corrections and $41,800 is used to fund the Department of Justice unit responsible for debt collection for other agencies.

 

AGENCIES CONTACTED:

       Departments of Corrections and Justice