Bill Details - HB518 (2019)

HB 518-FN - AS INTRODUCED

 

 

2019 SESSION

19-0246

04/01

 

HOUSE BILL 518-FN

 

AN ACT repealing certain statutes concerning reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.

 

SPONSORS: Rep. Welch, Rock. 13; Rep. Keans, Straf. 23

 

COMMITTEE: Criminal Justice and Public Safety

 

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

 

ANALYSIS

 

This bill repeals the subdivision relating to reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.

Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets and struckthrough.]

Matter which is either (a) all new or (b) repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.

19-0246

04/01

 

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

 

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Nineteen

 

AN ACT repealing certain statutes concerning reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.

 

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

 

1  Repeal.  The subdivision heading preceding RSA 622:53 and RSA 622:53 through RSA 622:58, relative to reimbursement of cost of care by inmates, are repealed.

2  Effective Date.  This act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.

 

LBAO

19-0246

Revised 1/31/19

 

HB 518-FN- FISCAL NOTE

AS INTRODUCED

 

AN ACT repealing certain statutes concerning reimbursement of cost of care by inmates.

 

FISCAL IMPACT:      [ X ] State              [    ] County               [    ] Local              [    ] None

 

 

 

Estimated Increase / (Decrease)

STATE:

FY 2020

FY 2021

FY 2022

FY 2023

   Appropriation

$0

$0

$0

$0

   Revenue

Potential Decrease of $102,000

Potential Decrease of  $102,000

Potential Decrease of $102,000           

Potential Decrease of $102,000           

   Expenditures

$0

$0

$0

$0

Funding Source:

  [ X ] General            [    ] Education            [    ] Highway           [    ] Other

 

 

 

 

 

METHODOLOGY:

This bill repeals the statute relating to reimbursement of the cost of care by inmates.  The Department of Corrections indicates this bill would reduce general fund unrestricted revenue by an estimated $81,230 in FY 2020 and each year thereafter.  The Department estimated the revenue loss for FY 2020 based on the FY 2018 average annual cost of incarceration for one person of $40,615.  Currently, two individuals pay cost of care.  The Department receives 59% of the cost of care reimbursement collected by the Department of Justice and the remaining 41% is deposited into the general fund.  The Department states it received $43,910 in FY 2016, $65,783 in FY 2017 and $65,419 in FY 2018.  The Department assumes loss of this revenue would be made up with general funds.   

 

The Department of Justice indicates it currently seeks reimbursement through the court process for the cost of care while the inmate is at the Department of Corrections.  The average  annual debt collected on behalf of the Department of Corrections over the past 4 years is $102,000.  Of this amount $60,200 is disbursed to the Department of Corrections and $41,800 is used to fund the Department of Justice unit responsible for debt collection for other agencies.  If the statute relating to reimbursement of the cost of care by inmates is repealed, annual revenue to the State would decrease by $102,000 on average.

 

AGENCIES CONTACTED:

       Departments of Corrections and Justice

 

Docket

Date Status
Jan. 3, 2019 Introduced 01/03/2019 and referred to Criminal Justice and Public Safety HJ 3 P. 18
Jan. 24, 2019 Public Hearing: 01/24/2019 01:00 pm LOB 204
Jan. 30, 2019 ==CANCELLED== Executive Session: 01/30/2019 10:00 am LOB 204
Feb. 7, 2019 ==RESCHEDULED== Executive Session: 02/07/2019 10:00 am LOB 204
Feb. 27, 2019 Committee Report: Ought to Pass for 02/27/2019 (Vote 20-0; CC) HC 13 P. 5
Committee Report: Ought to Pass (Vote 20-0; CC)
Feb. 27, 2019 Ought to Pass: MA VV 02/27/2019
March 14, 2019 Introduced 03/14/2019 and Referred to Judiciary; SJ 9

Action Dates

Date Body Type
Jan. 24, 2019 House Hearing
Jan. 30, 2019 House Exec Session
Feb. 7, 2019 House Exec Session
House Floor Vote
Feb. 27, 2019 House Floor Vote

Bill Text Revisions

HB518 Revision: 4784 Date: Feb. 1, 2019, 1:13 p.m.